For many Americans, summer brings a sense of adventure and wonder as well as a time to get in shape. Hiking trails offer a scenic walk, excellent exercise, and that sense of adventure we all crave. Here at Sierra Volkswagen, we have six Illinois hiking trails you have to check out this summer!
- Tunnel Hill State Trail – Stretching 45 miles from Harrisburg to Karnak, the Tunnel Hill State Trail features a whopping 23 trestle bridges. For those looking for that sense of adventure, this trail passes through ghost towns.
- Dixon Springs State Park – Featuring two hiking trails, the Dixon Springs State Park isn’t the largest of the bunch but it isn’t as crowded either. For those interested in a scenic walk, this is a top choice.
- Starved Rock State Park – Boasting interconnecting trails, hiking through Starved Rock State Park for hours on end is entirely plausible. Complete with canyons, caves, waterfalls, and the Illinois River, this is a perfect spot for that sense of wonder.
- Castle Rock State Park – Located in Oregon, Illinois, Castle Rock State Park offers sandstone bluffs and wooded areas. Keep an eye out for bald eagles!
- Buffalo Rock State Park – Home to two bison, Buffalo Rock State Park stretches just over three miles. Linking to the I&M Canal Trail, spending an afternoon hiking is a new kind of an adventure.
- Ferne Clyffe State Park – Filled with 18 trails, Ferne Clyffe State Park offers lakes, fields, waterfalls, and more.